Monday, February 24, 2014

Dear Familia y Amigos - January 27, 2014
 
Things are going well this week thanks.  There has been quite a lot of rain... as in when I hiked up the mountain it was more like hiking up a waterfall... that probably wasn´t the safest idea, we normally don´t do that, but we felt like we should so up we went. Don´t worry I won´t do it again.  The elders in another area had so much rain that the water rose up over their heads and they had to swim out!  I thought they were joking, but sure enough where they were visiting that day the water rose that high! One couldn´t swim and the other had to drag him out, poor things.  Also when there is lots of rain they turn off your water.  So for us we went without for 2 days, but for them it was for 4 or 5 days and still hasn´t come back.  They had to go to the house of some elders in another area to shower.  Lots of adventures in the mission.
 

This is the very steep trail that Brie climbs almost every day to go to the village to teach 
 
I do have transfers on the 5th so we shall see where I end up.  I enjoyed this transfer.  I feel like the area is much better than when I first got here and that´s the goal right?  My goals are to always leave my areas better than how I found them and that all my companions could never speak ill of me, that they would all love me.  We shall see how it goes in the upcoming round!  But really there are very special people here in Campana.
 


Brie's apartment - She lives on the second floor - and says it's actually kind of cute inside.  She used to live on the bottom and said "it's kind of sketchy!"
 
We had a conference on Thursday where Elder Suarez from the area seventy came to speak to us.  He spoke all about the importance of obedience and good planning.  It was cool because all the missionaries from the San Pedro Sula West and East missions came together for it.  We took up the whole chapel and the gym behind.  The chapel in El Benque in San Pedro is a massive chapel with two floors.  They use it for all the big church events in Honduras, and that´s where we always go for transfers and things.  I got to sit with Hermana Gardner so I was happy.
 
In other news... Linora and her husband Olvin are really progressing.  Unfortunately he will be working for the next 3 weekends so he can´t come to church until after that... booooooooo.  They study hardcore the scriptures together - it is so cute.  They always have a little notebook filled with questions for us.  The last time we went, we left the Joseph Smith movie with them to watch before we came again.  On that disc there are a bunch of other church movies too and it just so happened they watched every single movie except the Joseph Smith one they were supposed to watch.  So we ended up watching it with them, and Olvin really is starting to believe it all.  I am so happy!  Their family is just too darn cute.  I hope to see them all sealed together in the temple some day.
 
Yesterday was cool as we had our first lesson with a lady named Rosa.  She works in her pulperia all day but said we could stop by whenever to chat so yesterday we took her up on that offer.  It would be the american equivalent of teaching someone as they are working the counter at the gas station.  But she really liked the message, and we gave her a Book of Mormon, and she says she´s going to read it.  
 
You know what else?  The other day one of our investigators revealed to me that tons and tons of missionaries have come before us to try to teach her, but she never really felt like they cared about her.  She said they´d make a plan to visit her and she´d say it was ok to be nice, but then would do all in her power to make sure she wasn´t there when they came by.  She said when Hermana Cifuentes and I first came to teach her it was by pure chance because we really had a visit with a member scheduled but she just happened to be there in the house of the member too.  She told me that when I spoke that day that there was something special about me.  That she felt like I cared about her in the way I spoke and looked at her and she wanted to keep listening to me.  She said that was the first time that she had wanted to hear from the missionaries.  When she said that I was so shocked.  I remember that day clearly, and my broken Spanish and all my inadequacies but that somehow still God used me to touch her heart.  It pretty much made my whole week.  It made me realize that every moment we have is of grand importance, and that we never really know when we can touch people.  If I hadn´t been there and tried my best to testify that day despite my inadequacies, she probably would not be a member now.  I really know now that God chooses specific missionaries for specific people and that we must do all in our power to be obedient and testify at all times or we won´t do the work he needs us to do.  I am so grateful I was ready that day. 
 
I love you all so much and hope you are all happy and healthy and having a great week!  
 
Love, Hermana Johnson   

No comments:

Post a Comment