Monday, November 18, 2013

Hola familia and amigos! - November 18, 2013
 
Unfortunately Hermana Cifuentes still isn't totally better.  She still has difficulty breathing for some reason so we walk slow and don't go up the mountain as often.  I think a lot of it too is that she is so overwhelmed with going home and really stressed that it is taking a toll on her physically.  She just hasn't been well lately all around.  But that already tells you, I didn't have transfers.  I am still with my same companion and area.  But of course on Dec. 11 I'll get a new companion, and I anticipate staying in the same area since I'll probably be training and that's generally how it works.  We shall see. 
 
I didn't get Sarah's email for some reason... sometimes my ldsmail holds emails an extra week for some odd reason, so maybe it'll come through next Monday I hope.  Glad to hear Darren was able to visit and go to temple square with nana.  I'm glad nana is doing well in terms of her positivity.  She is always a great example to me of staying positive, and I hope to have that trait in my own life.  Glad to hear that Ethan is doing well too. He is so darling!  Say hi to nana, Darren and Sarah for me.
 
Glad that work is going well for you.  I know this can be a very busy time of year for you, but thanks for always being sure to write me.  I love hearing from you all! 
 
And your thoughts that you send are always spot on dad.  Thanks for those.  I hope you are all doing really well!
 
Things that are going on here....  I was quite surprised to see that quite a lot of people here actually put lights on their houses for Christmas like in the US.  We passed a house and I asked my comp, is that for Christmas or what?  and she was like, oh yeah of course.  what???? The only thing I know about Christmas thus far is that the entire month of December people will be giving me tamales all day every day.  ha ha  I'm pretty darn excited because I love tamales, and the ones I've had here are pretty alright. whoooooo  that's all I've been told.  Since it is President Dester's first Christmas here no one knows how the missionaries will be spending Christmas this year.  With the last president I heard it was just fabulous.  Like a huge dinner with everyone and then a talent show and dancing.  Dancing? with missionaries?  I would be so pumped.  But we shall see....
 
This week is going to be a bit lame because we aren't allowed to leave the house for 3 days!!!!!!! due to the elections for president here people just go crazy and it is too dangerous to go outside.  So all the missionaries in all of Honduras are locked inside their houses this Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  So I won't actually even have pday until Tuesday next week.  oh well... I suppose I can use that time to write you people your Christmas cards. ;)
 
Hermana Gardner and her companion Hermana Bahr from Arizona are just great. I love seeing them during the week.  They told me a funny story about one of their investigators here.... A lot of people here talk about dreams they've had and such and actually read into those types of things a lot.  It was this old lady who had bad stomach pain for a really long time, and so she had a dream this pain was from a demon in her stomach and that a pastor from her church came and put his hands on her belly to bless her and release her from the demon.  But the demon pushed back against the pastor and refused to leave her and her pain continued. Later she had another dream that a man dressed in white came to her and put grape leaves under her legs and she gave birth to 3 fishes and she was healed.... somehow this lady concluded from her vision that Christ saved her from Satanas, that she was healed from the demon and needs no church in her life.... hmmmmmmm  ok   ha ha ha ha ha     the Hondurans and their visions in the nighttime.
 
In other news... I forgot to tell you another good story.  When the Familia Calderon had their baby they didn't give it a name for like a month or 2.  They just couldn't decide what to name it.  So they asked us to help them and so we wrote them a list of names.  That was pretty funny with Hermana Cifuentes because I would say like Alejandro or Juan or Gustavo like stereotypical Spanish names and she would just say how beautiful they were.  But I said the name Fulgencio and she just laughed and laughed and thought it was so ugly.  My goal was to have the Familia Calderon name their baby Fulgencio in honor of my favorite TV show, but my wish didn't come true and his name is Isaac.  But Hermana Cifuentes just thought that was hilarious, and still jokes about the name Fulgencio to everyone.  I wonder if any country actually uses that name because here no one believes me when they hear Fulgencio that it is a name...
 
Like two weeks ago we went contacting on a particular hill, and I had the feeling to go to this really awesome looking orange house with big yellow stars on it. It is quite odd but darling.  Hermana Cifuentes tried to tell me that no one was home, but I really felt like it was important and sure enough there are two lovely young ladies that live there and are super receptive to the gospel.  As in when we invited them to the church they were like oh sure, would you mind coming by to go with us, we were like we would love too!!!!! We gave them a Book of Mormon Thursday, and they seemed so excited to read it and I really feel like perhaps now we can have a baptism before Hermana Cifuentes heads home.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to spend time with them.  One is 15 and the other is 24.  They live next door to each other, but we teach them together at the same time.  They really are just ready for the gospel. I'll keep you posted on how things are going with them, but they are just too cool.  The first time we met with them, we were trying to get to know them a little better, and I asked the 15 year old what she wanted to be when she grows up, and she said she just hopes that whatever she is it will be a work that allows her to glorify God.  That she doesn't like the life that others her age live, but that she wants to follow the Bible and do what God wants of her.  I was like what?  what 15 year old talks like that.  She is really wonderful to me.  Anyways, it is wonderful to see people progressing in the gospel and so willing to learn and  it really strengthens me just as much as it does them I feel.          
 
I hope that you are all well and healthy!  I love you all so so much!  Talk to you again next Tuesday!   
 
Love, Hermana Johnson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment