Monday, October 28, 2013

Dear Mom,

Sorry I did not take a picture of the tarantulas... I will the next time I see one as I'm sure I will.  Ha ha.  Every week gets better here as I actually learn how to be a missionary.  I've finally gotten down all the paperwork we have to fill out and how to take the stats and it only took me 4 weeks to figure it out since it was all in spanish ha ha ha.  Wow.  Most of the time I just worry about if I'm doing things right, I get so confused.  My companion likes me as she requested to stay with me here in Campana for her final month as a missionary.  She tries to protect me a lot too... like tries to hold my hand as we walk across the street.

Oh and I did get your package this week!  Thank you so, so much!  I was expecting just a little tiny package like the size of a VHS since all I needed really was my camera cord... I should have known better with my mother ha ha ha.  And Tuesday really is the only time they give mail.  The entire zone meets in Choloma this day for district meetings so the couple missionaries just bring all the mail and set it in a pile for us to pick up.  I have been told by other missionaries that my package arrived pretty quickly.  There's a sister in my ward who has been waiting for her package 2 months and an elder who has been waiting 3 and they still haven't come.  So I guess 1 month is the fastest, but between 1 and 2 months is average for a package.  The corners were a little beat up, but it was in pretty good shape when I got it.  Loved the gummies, the peanut butter m&ms, the trailmix, the peanutbutter and nutella, everything was wonderful!  Thank you so, so much.  It really made my entire week.  My companion loved it too.  Letters also come at this time and generally take 3 to 4 weeks no matter where they are from.  I've gotten mail from Katy Bready (Kentucky), Mindy Wong (Alabama) and Alex Williams (Japan) while I've been here.

So glad you guys had a great time with Hunter this season for football.  I'm so happy for him that he was able to do so well.  Yeah let me tell you, a lot of change is coming to those boys real fast now.  It is crazy to think how much has changed in such a short amount of time in my own life.  Thanks for Nathan's emails.  Katy and I email each other a little paragraph each week, but I don't get her official letters.  I'd love to see one though. She is really on top of things.  I've already gotten 2 letters from her while I've been in Honduras.  And so I have 19 followers from Indonesia huh?  Well it's because I have an Asian heart after all.  In a letter from Hunter this week, he says Mom listens to Asian music when she misses me, I am so honored.  Got letters from Mom also this week and Grace and Ava.  Thanks so much for all your love and support.  It means so, so much to me.  It makes life a lot easier to hear from you guys often, so that I don't have to worry and know you are all well at home so I can focus on what I need to do here.

Glad Molly has found a way to volunteer.  I am so proud!  Is she healthy again now?  Loved to see the photos!  Please with your next written letter include a few photos of our family as I love photos most of all.  

Funny you mentioned God protects his missioaries, as I can definitely testify of that already.  I've already had miracles happen for my own protection that I feel like if I weren't a missionary I would not be so lucky.  For example... earlier this week we had gone contacting in the street in a new area last Sunday and set up some visits to return and talk with the people who wanted to hear more.  Anyways, one man told us he lived right behind this church that we were close to and that he would love for us to come visit his wife and kids with him.  So we returned and went back this little back path behind the church, me, Hermana Cifuentes and member who was with us to visit this family, and I went up to the house and yelled  Buenas, because that's what you do here... nobody knocks or anything.  And this gigantic dog comes running from the backyard of this house... like the kind of dog that is so big it is like a mini horse.  eeek... and I was closest to it, like 15 feet away and it was just barking and barking so we all started to back up real slow.  Normally all the street dogs here are pretty timid like you just have to yell at them or throw water on them from your water bottle and they run off.. but this dog was super crazed like I am pretty sure it had rabies because it was foaming nasty white and green in its mouth.  I was absolutely terrified.  And this man and his family were not home.  The dog ran to come down to eat me, and then this neighbor kid saw us and grabbed the dog as it was only like 4 inches from me ready to bite me.  Ack.  It was a miracle that this kid saw and saved us... otherwise I would probably have had to spend the day at the hospital.  Dogs are a real problem here.  Some missionaries have gotten bitten, but generally you can see big dogs as you are walking along the paths and can avoid them.  IDK, so we are never going back to that house... but really God looks out for His missionaries.  

Another time we were in San Pedro Sula for a meeting with the president's wife and sister training leaders during our pday, so we went to the grocery store after real quick before heading home.  Also this week there was some problem with the debit cards reloading money so we didn't have much money but bought enough to be ok a few days and saved enough to get home... anyways a man came up to us asking for money and we had hardly nothing so we were like no, no.  So he went to try to steal our groceries and who pulls up at that moment on the street but a stake president of San Pedro Sula.  And he gave the man some money and he ran off.  If he hadn't been there, we would've had no food and perhaps no money to get home either.  It was a miracle that he just happened to be there right when we needed him, and he drove us to a bus stop a little ways off so we could get safely home.  

Oh and please go sue Sis Missionary Mall.... the expensive umbrella you got me there broke the first day I used it.  Tell everyone to shop elsewhere for their missionary needs.  And my alarm clock from there had a glitch the first week I used it (it would randomly reset itself) but it has been working great the past two weeks so I think it is ok... but advise others to go elsewhere.  

In other news... apparently the president told my companion that I will be a trainer to whoever is my next companion.  So either this November or December I will be a trainer already and I don't even speak Spanish.  So of course my next companion will be a Latina so we can actually teach people, but goodness I don't feel ready for that just yet.  They say there are just so many new people coming and they are running short on older sisters.  We don't find out whether we are switching companions until the 11th of November though, and then the 13th they make the switches.  

This week we got to do divisions with the sister training leaders and it was a wonderful experience.  I got to go with Hermana Aguilar who is from Logan, Utah, and she came here to Campana with me.  I got to be in charge so we got to contact a street I've always wanted to contact and found two wonderful new families who are so excited to hear the gospel.  We got to all of our visits and trudged through it all in pouring rain.  It was so awesome!  I like to go, go, go all day, missionary pace people!  I learned so much about teaching with her. Mostly I just learned that I should be the kind of missionary I want to be.  

Happy, happy anniversary to mom and dad!  I am so happy for you and your excellent examples.  You could give me a lot of advice on how to make companionships work well.  Also I hope the ACT went well for Hunter and college apps are coming along nicely.  


I love you all so, so, so much!  Thanks again for the package!

Love Hermana Johnson

1 comment:

  1. Brie we love and miss you. You are in our constant thoughts and prayers. We talk about you all the time. Stay safe and keep doing the great work you are doing. Oh and BTW keep an eye out for a fake purse for you Aunt Leah!!! ;-))))

    ReplyDelete