Sunday, September 15, 2013

E-mail from Third Week at Mexico City MTC
 
Hola Family!
 
First of all, I am very jealous that Dad got to go to San Francisco again without me... but I am looking forward to the postcard!  I finally got mail this week!  I got a letter from mom and one from Sister Mindy Wong.  And then the Hays sent me a huge package of all my favorite treats!  That was so, so nice of them, I can't say thank you enough!  Please let them know I got it and I was so thrilled... and so were my companions ha ha.  Getting mail is the greatest. Oh yeah, but from now on start using my Honduras address because it will never get to me otherwise.  I'm so surprised I'm already halfway done with the MTC.  I mean I'm learning a lot and practicing companionship life, but it is just flying by.  I hope the whole mission is like this.  As in, if it is flying by, that means you are having a good time. 
 
I am actually super pumped for general conference... it just occurred to me yesterday that that would be during my first week there.  I get to go hang out with my district and just eat goodies all day and hang out watching conference.  What could be better? I did get my new suitcase and it is smaller but I really have discovered I can't do a bigger one.  You get absolutely no help with your luggage ever.  You have to drag it around everywhere all by yourself.  I had to take those two giant ones all over the Mexcio City airport which is massive and then across the entire MTC campus twice because they switched my casa when my third companion joined us.  So... I am happy to have a smaller one... though I'm still figuring out how to pack everything.  All will work out better though, trust me.  Especially when I have to drag everything down the dirt roads of Honduras and on some crazy chicken bus.  yep
 
My health has been fine... which is shocking because everyone at the MTC this past week has been getting like the flu or something.  Hermana Gardner got sick and stayed home 6 whole days.  Hermana Barnes got sick too one day, so all I could do was sit by myself in the casa.  It was the longest most awful boring day of my life.  But they say at the MTC now, of course not in the field, but here you are allowed to go to class by yourself if your companion is ill... so whatev. 
 
Tell Alec congrats for me!  That's so exciting!  Mexico really is the greatest, and the fastest way to learn Spanish.  Congrats to Hunter in football!  I hope he is not crying too much that I am gone still.  Oh... that warms my heart to know I am so loved though.  Tell him I support his decision to not go to the dance.  I wish I hadn't done dances actually.  It's way more fun just to chill out with friends those nights, so have fun with Goodsell little buddy. 
 
I am thrilled to have my pillow.  I sleep like a rock.  We are so, so tired every day... I have never fallen asleep faster in my life.  Although at night here it is like shockingly loud.  Mexico City is crazy noisy.  All night long there are live bands and cars and fireworks and roosters.  Chispas. 
 
Let me tell you a little bit more about my district... there are ten of us including myself.  Surprisingly only 3 are actually going to Latin America, and the rest are serving US Spanish speaking missions.
 
Hermana Jones I adore.  She is from Utah and going to Minnesota.  She is so, so funny, she would be like a dream to have as a companion.  I have a great time with her.  Her companion is Hermana Bukoskie from Nebraska who converted to the church when she was17 because she had a Mormon friend who invited her to talk with the missionaries.  Her testimony is so strong and she is great at teaching because she understands exactly how it is to be an investigator.
 
Elder Sievers is from Orem, Utah and his companion Elder Lillywhite is from Layton.  They are so funny.  They will be serving in Gilbert, Arizona with Hermana Bukoskie.  I would totally hang out with them in real life.  Elder Sievers is 20... he just didn't feel ready to go when he was younger I guess.  Elder Lillywhite just turned 18 the week before he got here.  They are both like super musical too.  Elder Sievers can play just about anything on the harmonica and Elder Lillywhite kills at piano, so one night we just went and sang hymns together as a district as they both played and it was so, so nice.  Sometimes we take breaks from studying to do these types of things because we can't stand being in the same room all day every day.  But that's only like once a week so we are still being productive, no worries.  That is about as much fun as missionaries can have.  Yes... I have turned into one of those obnoxious churchy people who when they are upset or need a break, they sing a hymn.  Because I am a missionary and have no other options...  ha ha ha
 
Elder Rhead is from Ogden, he'll be going to El Salvador.  He is so darling.  He just finished the Book of Mormon for the first time like last week, so I do worry for him.... he's a bit too innocent I fear.  Elder Bryan is so, so funny.  He is a genius.  He is going to Stanford.  Yes he got in to Stanford.  I am so jealous.  His Dad also went there... so he had a strategy there, but really he is brilliant. He got a 36 on his ACT and has read our Spanish English dictionary all the way through like 3 times at least.  He will be serving in Denver, Colorado.  The third companion in their elder trio is Elder Smith who is our district leader.  He is from Texas.  He is going to Minnesota with Hermana Jones.
 
Overall I love my district and we have so much fun.  Later this week is Mexican Independence day so I am so, so pumped.  We get to have a party that night... though I have no idea what we will be doing as party is not really part of the missionary vocabulary... I'll let you know.  That'll probably be the loudest night yet. It's gonna be good.  They've already started decorating campus.
 
My favorite thought this week was on prayer.  Thomas S. Monson said of our prayers to our Heavenly Father, "He who hears the fall of a sparrow, surely hears the pleas of our hearts."  I pray like a ridiculous amount of times every day.  And there are some things we get asked to pray for in every prayer we say, like the gift of tongues.  I usually am praying for patience and love for everyone.  Everyone learns in different ways and at different speeds.  I must find the positive in everyone I meet... that is to be Christlike as He sees the best in us and that is how He can love us so, so much.  That is why He is always listening.  I know he hears my prayers and is protecting me and helping me learn each and every day.
 
I love you and will write to you again real soon!  Adios
 
Hermana Johnson

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brie it sounds like you are doing amazing! Your positive energy is contagious!!! We are so happy you are doing well and enjoying your MTC experience. We love and miss you. You are in our prayers and we know you are being watched over!!! Have a wonderful week. We look forward to the next update!!!
    Love you:-)

    ReplyDelete